Take full-control of Your Benefits

Work Services

Jobseeker's Benefit for the Self-Employed

What is a Jobseeker's Benefit for the Self-Employed (JBSE)?

Jobseeker's Benefit for the Self-Employed (JBSE) is a financial aid provided to self-employed individuals between the ages of 18 and 66 who are either fully or partially unemployed.

This benefit is provided based on the number of paid Pay-Related Social Insurance (PRSI) contributions. It is paid for 6 or 9 months depending on the number of social insurance contributions you have.

How to Qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit for the Self-Employed:

To qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit for the Self-Employed, you must:

  • Be under 66 years of age (the current pension age).
  • Satisfy the PRSI contribution conditions.
  • Not be engaged in self-employment.
  • Be capable of, available for, and genuinely seeking full-time work.
  • Prove unemployment in the prescribed manner.
  • PRSI Contribution Conditions:

    In terms of PRSI contributions, you must have paid 156 Class “S” contributions or 104 Class “A” or "H" contributions since you began insurable employment.

    Also, you must have paid 52 Class “S” contributions in the governing contribution year. The governing contribution year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which you make your claim.

    You can work as an employee for up to 3 days a week and still receive Jobseeker’s Benefit for the Self-Employed for the other days, provided you are available for full-time work.

  • If you're over 62 years of age and receiving JBSE, you don't need to meet with a case officer or sign on monthly.
  • If you're 65 or turn 65 while receiving JBSE, you can continue to receive your payment up to your 66th birthday, given you have at least 156 PRSI contribution weeks paid and 52 Class "S" contributions paid in the governing contribution year.
  • Rates of payment:

    In terms of payment, the full weekly payment is €220.00. If your spouse, civil partner, or cohabitant is dependent on you or has a low income, you may be able to claim an Increase for a Qualified Adult to your payment.

  • If they're earning €100 or less, you'll get the maximum increase.
  • If their earnings fall between €100 and €310, you'll receive a reduced rate of increase.
  • If they earn more than €310, you won't receive an increase.
  • Additionally, if you have dependent children, you may claim an Increase for a Qualified Child to your payment.

    Note: If you begin part-time self-employment, you won't be considered to have stopped self-employment and you won't meet the conditions for the JBSE scheme.

    How to Apply:

    To apply, please fill in the application form and bring it to your local Intreo Centre when you attend to make your claim.

    You should apply as soon as you are no longer self-employed otherwise you could lose some payment.

    To apply, you will need the following documents, in addition to the application form:

  • identification: your Public Services Card (PSC), passport or driving licence
  • proof of your address: a recent utility bill or letter from a government department
  • You can apply even if you do not have all of the documents, but you cannot get a decision on your application until you have provided all of the documents.

    If you are making a repeat claim (less than 6 months since your last claim), you complete a repeat claim form known as a Jobseeker's Repeat Claim Application Form (UP6).


    You can appeal a decision if you are unhappy with it. You should appeal within 21 days of the decision and you can ask for an oral hearing.

    An appeals officer, whose decision is final, will then decide your case. Some cases can be decided without an oral hearing.

    If new information comes to light or your circumstances change, you can apply for Jobseeker's Benefit (Self-Employed) again.