Take full-control of Your Benefits

Work Services

Jobseeker's Allowance

What is a Jobseeker's Allowance?

Jobseeker's Allowance is a means-tested payment available to people in Ireland who are unemployed and do not qualify for other benefits, or whose entitlement to other benefits has expired. This allowance is also available to those who do qualify for other benefits but choose to claim Jobseeker's Allowance instead.

How to Qualify for Jobseeker's Allowance:

Eligibility for Jobseeker's Allowance relies on various factors including your income and your residency status in Ireland. To qualify, you must:

  • Be between 18 and 66 years of age.
  • Pass a means test.
  • Be habitually resident in Ireland.
  • Be capable of, available for, and genuinely seeking full-time work
  • Be fully or partly unemployed (at least 4 out of 7 days).
  • Rates of Payment:

    A means test is an examination of all your household income, savings, investments, or property (except for your primary residence). This test also includes any income that your spouse, civil partner, or cohabitant has.

    Your weekly rate of payment depends on the results of your means assessment. If you have no means and are 25 or over, you could receive a full weekly payment of €220. Additional payments are possible for qualified adult and child dependants.

    If you're 18-24 years old, you may be eligible for the full personal rate of €220 if you meet specific conditions like having a qualified child or transferring directly from Disability Allowance (DA1).

    Jobseeker's Allowance is paid weekly in arrears, with certain exceptions for those working part-time or short-time, or those over 62. If you start part-time or casual work, you need to declare the days you are working and not working through www.MyWelfare.ie.

    Finally, if you're over 62 and receiving a jobseeker’s payment, you do not have to meet with a case officer or sign on monthly. If you continue to work after you turn 66 and satisfy all qualifying conditions, you can receive a State Pension. It's important to adjust your social insurance contributions when you reach this age.

    How to Apply:

    You can apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance by completing a paper application form.

    You can also apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance by going to your local Intreo Centre

    Please bring:

  • identification – your public service card, passport or driving licence
  • proof of your address – a utility bill or letter from a government department
  • evidence of your income, including bank statements
  • If you are making a repeat claim (less than 12 months since your last claim), you should complete Jobseeker's Repeat Claim Application Form (UP6)

    Bring all documentation to your local Intreo Centre when you attend to make your claim. You can apply even if you do not have all of the documents but you cannot get a decision on your application until you have provided all of the documents.


    You can appeal a decision if you are unhappy with it. You should appeal within 21 days of the decision and you can ask for an oral hearing.

    An appeals officer, whose decision is final, will then decide your case. Some cases can be decided without an oral hearing.

    If new information comes to light or your circumstances change, you can apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance (UP1) again.

    Jobseeker's Allowance or Benefit (UP1)